Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Yogurt Experiment


Ever since I can remember, I have loved yogurt.  My mom bought us Yoplait while we were growing up and so when I came to college, I bought Yoplait yogurt.  My favorite was the Strawberry custard style. 
When Moydie and I got married almost two years ago, I kept buying Yoplait. 
One day, when we were shopping, Moydie stopped me at the dairy section and pointed out that he loved Mountain High Yogurt.  He told me it has less sugar than Yoplait.  Cool!  We tried Mountain High and I immediately was hooked on it.  That stuff was like candy to me, but healthier!  Since Moydie and I work out a lot, having protein after a workout is crucial and Mountain High yogurt has 10 grams of protein per serving!! Wahoo!! Score!!  We have been faithful customers of Mountain High yogurt ever since. 
This last weekend, I went to Princeton to race in the ECAC Conference and we bought some food there for breakfast since the hotel didn't provide one.  At the grocery store, everyone kept saying, "Get Greek yogurt; Greek yogurt's the best!"  So I did, I bought five flavors of Oikos Greek yogurt. 
And guess what?  I loved it!  Out of the Vanilla, Key Lime, Raspberry, and Strawberry flavors, my favorite was Vanilla.  As soon as I started loving this yogurt, I had to look at the sugar and protein content.  It looked good, but I wanted to compare it with other Greek yogurts and our beloved Mountain High. 
When I went to the store yesterday, I thought it would be fun if we tested and experimented with all these yogurts to see which was the tastiest, best form of protein, least amount of sugar, and the cheapest.  Moydie was very excited when I told him my idea.
We experimented with Mountain High, Chobani, and Oikos.  
This is what we found out . . .
Mountain High yogurt has .0885 grams of protein per 1 gram of yogurt, .221 grams of sugar per gram of yogurt, and costs .32 cents per gram.  
Oikos has .16 grams of protein per gram of yogurt, .24 grams of sugar per gram of yogurt, and costs .6 cents per gram.   
Chobani has .188 grams of protein per gram of yogurt, .2 grams of sugar per gram, and costs .58 cents per gram. 
With this study, in order from best to worst we have found that for protein it goes Chobani, Oikos, Mountain High; for sugar it goes Chobani, Mountain High, Oikos; and for cost it goes Mountain High, Chobani, Oikos. 
The results of the taste test were:  I loved Oikos rich, creamy, custard texture and yeah, I guess I loved the sugar.  Moydie still loved the taste of Mountain High. 
From this study, we are still going to buy Mountain High, but we will buy some Oikos too because it has more protein than Mountain High and since it comes in little packages, it's perfect for after work out snacks, lunches, and trips.   


2 comments:

  1. We love yogurt over at our house too! We have Lily convinced that Chobani yogurt is ice cream. She eats a small package of it almost every day! Thanks for posting this, I don't have time to stand in the refrigerated section of the grocery store and compare these brands with a rambunctious toddler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!!! :) I hope everything is going well with you guys!!

      Delete