Tuesday, July 10, 2012

No Fireworks?! On the 4th of July?!

This 4th of July, I went to Huntington, Utah with my husband Moydie. 
Huntington is Moydie's hometown and it's 20 minutes south of Price, Utah.  It's a cute little town that reminds me of my hometown, Alamosa, Colorado. 
Well, as most of us know, the weeks leading up to the 4th were busy with fires all around Utah and Colorado.  And sadly, there was one in Huntington Canyon not far from Huntington hence the name. 
I actually hadn't heard much about this fire, until we were driving there on Tuesday the 3rd.  The closer we got to Huntington, the thicker the smoke.  It was super sad. 
What made us even sadder is that Moydie's family has several cabins up there.  And as of the 4th, the fires were less than a mile away and moving towards the cabins.  
As of now, the cabins are safe . . .  probably because of . . .
The rain storms all over Utah and Colorado on the 5th! It was such a blessing!! And it was a lot of fun too, seeing how Moydie and I were out in it for about an hour.  (I ran 8 mi and he lovingly biked next to me) :)
Anyways, on to some happy stuff!! Moydie and I got to wear our cowboy hats to the parade on the 4th, Moydie taught me how to land a front flip on the tramp!, we got to star gaze on the tramp, we got to eat lots of junk food (and some healthy stuff, too), and we got to lounge about with family without a care in the world  . . .
Except for that one little detail . . . We couldn't shoot off fireworks on the the night of the 4th!
Well, ok, I lied, you could light them off, but in the middle school's baseball field supervised by millions of firefighters.  It was kind of fun actually . . . All the kids got free sparklers and holy cow, those sparklers were massive and explosive! Ha ha kind of . . . And then they had a little fireworks show and then the people that had bought their own starting lighting them off right where everyone was doing sparklers!  I was a little nervous on several accounts, but nobody got hurt and there wasn't a new fire blazing in the middle school's baseball field :) 
The fun thing about doing it this way was that it was a huge community celebrating our Independence close together.  It was a grand sight.  And it was a grand 4th of July week!

No comments:

Post a Comment