Friday, July 27, 2012

Manassa Pioneer Days 2012

This past week was a busy one!! (Heck I feel like I always start out my blogs this way lol) 
On Wednesday the 18th we woke up super early to drive 9 hours to Alamosa, Colorado to get there in time for Little Brother's last baseball game of the season.  Little Brother is sooo talented! And he loves baseball!! He hit the ball once and even got to score and he had a sweet slide into home plate! He plays pitcher and holy cow he loves it!!
On Thursday the 19th we were busy with planning and setting up for my sister Heather's reception . . . It wasn't too bad or hard . . . and it looked good!! And of course the happy couple looked amazingly beautiful!
I'm usually not a fan of pinks, yellows, or oranges, but my sister chose the right colors . . . They were perfect for everything!!
On Friday, the 20th was the first day of Pioneer Days in Manassa!! Manassa, Colorado is 30 min away from Alamosa and they always celebrate Pioneer Days because that was the first town in southern Colorado that was settled by the Mormons way back when.  So, that morning started off with going to the parade which you get to see twice in one day because they loop back around after they go around the first time.  Moydie thought this was really weird.  I love everything about it. 
 My little sister Emily got to ride our Grandpa's horse in the parade! That's my other younger sister in front taking her picture.  
And here's the propaganda about Obama . . .
Afterwards, we went to a Rogers Family Reunion with lots of great food! And then we went to the rodeo!!
This is a great picture of the "cow chasing of the kids" event.  The kids 12 and younger go out there and chase down some cows to grab the ribbons off their tails for some money! That little guy in the yellow shirt is my cousin Josh Sowards . . . yep, the running gene's in our blood.  
The last year I was able to chase the cows, I was determined to get one.  So I remember seeing this cow being chased toward me and as it passed me, I lunged for it's tail and I got the ribbon! And then I remember getting ran over by the herd of calves behind him . . . yeah . . . they picked me up and took me to the ambulance and then after I calmed down and everything was fine, they started calling my dad over the loud speakers to come get me . . . they did this 3 times before finally one of my best friends, who saw this happen, went to my dad and told him, "Uh, I think Lindsey's in the ambulance" . . . yeah, it was kind of funny.  
On Saturday, (this was the crazy fun day), we woke up super early and ran the 5K!  Wahoo!! This was Moydie's first 5K and he did amazing!! He ran a 27:03!! That's around an 8:58 pace!! He was so excited and he had a lot of fun.  I ran a 19:03 and I got 15th overall, I was the 3rd girl, and I got first in my age group.  Here's us happy after the race . . . 
After the race, we caught the end of the parade for the second time and then we went and got me my greasy hamburger at the hamburger stands and my Mountain Dew and Moydie got some sweet brisket!
Next up was the SRS Motocross!! My family puts this on in memory of my uncle who died of Lou Gherig's disease about 8 years ago.  SRS stands for Steven R Sowards.  It was a blast!! I had a lot of cousins participating and they swept all the wins! What can I say, my family's talented!
After the winning Motocross, we went to the Demolition Derby! This is what everyone waits for! This is the greatest way to end an awesome Pioneer Days! The whole valley shows up and it's amazing! Moydie absolutely loved it! I mean, what guy wouldn't? Old cars bumping into each other on purpose for four hours? Yeah, it's that awesome. 






No comments:

Post a Comment